Loading palette preview Loading

Library History

A long road to the to the present.

Through the efforts of the Woman' Club and the leadership of Mrs. Alma Tate, the Clinton Library was organized in 1913.  Before that Clinton residents had often exchanged books among themselves or gone somewhere else for library service.  Mrs. Tate headed a drive for donations of books and money to establish a library in what was the Tag & Kaiser Building.  Many volumes were also borrowed from the schools.  In 1937, Miss Grace Davis and Dr. J.R. Foreman guided a passage of a one-mill property tax by township voters and the Clinton Township Public Library was formed.  The library then moved into the Masonic Building.

By the mid 1980s, the library had outgrown its space and the library board determined the need for a new building.  In 1988 the Merritt McCallum Cieslak architectural firm was hired to design a new library building .  The new library is situated in the Village of Clinton, directly behind the central business district and adjacent to a residential area.  The firm designed a 6900 square foot one-story building with basement.  The full basement was added to allow for future growth.

In 1989, the Building Committee received an $800,000 anonymous donation to cover construction and furnishings in addition to a $120,000 Library Services and Construction Act (LSCA) grant awarded by the Library of Michigan.  The library opened its doors to the public on December 10, 1990.